Sunday, January 24, 2016

Preamble to Mathematical Frequency

Alhambra, California
October 10, 1967

To my Children and Grandchildren:

As most of you know, I have spent most of my time during the last thirty years in mathematical research; experimenting, developing and testing a practical Mathematical Frequency Formula. I had hoped that at the completion of this work last year that I would have the opportunity to demonstrate in a material way the value of this Formula in order that I might leave with you something in the nature of an achievement or accomplishment which would account for all of my working years. This hope, however, seems at this time impossible of fulfillment.

Although I have made quite a number of contributions to my fellowmen through the fire service, none have been attributed to me. All the designing and inventing of better fire equipment, the discovery and development of better fire control methods, and the improvement in organization, administration and training in the fire service were all freely passed on to others during fifteen years of teaching with the result that today there is no material evidence that I ever made any contribution or accomplished anything in this field.

I feel that the accomplishment in Mathematical Frequency is by far the greater achievement. But again, there is no material evidence of this. I have written some notes on the principle of Mathematical Frequency, a copy of which is enclosed, with the thought that if I am unable to demonstrate the value of this achievement to others during my lifetime, and when in the future someone else discovers and demonstrates the value of this principle, then you will know that at least I was the first to discover and use this universal principle.

You will note the Formula itself is not discussed. That I am not giving away. It is the only symbol of material achievement and success I possess, and will remain in my keeping even if it is never used again. I have had great satisfaction in the development of this valuable Formula.

With love and best wishes,

J. F. Baker

(Next week, the thesis.)