Sunday, November 15, 2015

I Have A Friend

In the High Sierras, 1980
I have a friend. It's nice to have a friend. I hike the trails and roads through the forest every day. Since the weather turned warm, I like to sit on a stump and rest; listen to the birds sing, watch the flowers grow, and enjoy the silence of the forest.

One such stump is located near the Calaveras Ranch gate. The first few days I sat there, I noticed a large black bird flying back and forth, back and forth, watching what I was doing. This bird has a name that sounds like "Pixselated" woodpecker. As I can't say his real name, I call him "Pixselated".

Then I first saw the stump, it was covered by the usual forest debris of pine needles, oak leaves, etc. I brushed away some of it before sitting down. After a few days, I noticed the stump had been completely cleaned. Did the bird do it with his wings, or did a squirrel do it bit by bit? I don't know, but I do know I have a friend—a friend who wishes me to be comfortable on the stump.

Then a few days later, I found another sign that I have a friend among the little folks of the forest. Right smack dab in the middle of the stump was an acorn. A ripe acorn, one that had either been buried in the ground last fall before the first snow fell, or had been hid in a hollow tree all winter. There are no acorns on the ground this time of year, so it is quite obvious that my very good friend not only wishes me to be comfortable, but desires to share his food supply with me. Which is it? The bird, or the squirrel, or both?

Because I wanted to say "thank you," I placed a small white stone where my friend had placed the acorn. Tomorrow, I will return to see what happened to the stone. I have a very good friend.

Grandpa Baker

July 1985

p.s. the stone is still there

p.p.s. much later - the stone is gone